Friday 15 June 2012

Franklin Phatboy one on one with DJ HYPNOTIQ


If you usually watch Tv, You must have seen Him,He is one of the fastest rising Dj’s in the country. DJ Hypnotiq has proven to be in a category of his own. As you will notice in the answers to my questions below, this DJ doesn’t “pigeon hole” himself to one particular genre. This kid is everywhere. One minute it’s Rihanna, the next it’s the hardest of dubstep and house music. And yet, he makes it work in a seamless fashion. And Kenya loves him for it. Below is my exclusive interview with the infamous DJ Hypnotiq.
Franklin Phatboy:Where do we start now?Okey,Tell us about yourself:
Dj Hypnotiq:Wow… where do I start? Well, hypnotiq is a humble yet limitless person. I would call myself a go getter, funny and an entertainer….. I’m just that guy lol.
Franklin Phatboy:So how did it all begin?
DJ Hypnotiq:Well, I’ve had a passion for music since way back . My dad had a lot of records back in the day and i got a chance to listen to different sounds from different places. I guess with that I found my love for music.Djing on the other hand. I listened to a lot of mixtapes from djs (likes of Stylez, Pinye, John, the lengendary Mr. Prime) and started getting the urge to learn and that was my motivation and the rest is history.
Franklin Phatboy:Where did the name come from?
DJ Hypnotiq:The name hypnotiq came from a radio show that I did when I was in Codered, Crème and I were doing a show called Emergency room and I had a name looool can’t even tell but I asked the audience to tell me what I should call myself after they heard my set. I saw hypnotiq felt the vibe on it and ran with it.
Franklin Phatboy: What gave you that initial push?
DJ Hypnotiq:My initial push came when I was in university. I used to play on virtual dj and I did a mixtape and people loved it… so I started pushing my mixes met up with Crème (who till today is like a brother) and we gave each other drive… Crème’s mind actually did.
Franklin Phatboy:What was the first event you ever played at/put on?
DJ Hypnotiq:My first event… was Smirnoff experience.
Franklin Phatboy:What’s the best event you’ve played at/put on?
DJ Hypnotiq:Best event I ever played at was an event called house arrest. I had never imagined playing for both white and black people plus I had just found new love in house music… all I can say is that it was amazing.
Franklin Phatboy:What was your first record you bought?
DJ Hypnotiq:Do you mean download or bought? Well, my first record was a Memphis Bleek album called coming of age.
Franklin Phatboy:Out of all the tunes you have, which one ‘never fails?’
DJ Hypnotiq:Right now… we found love – Rihanna, dj cleos – weneghamba nawe…that’s what I call sure shots.
Franklin Phatboy:What’s you favourite tune of all time?
DJ Hypnotiq:Wow. I guess it would have to be that nigga – inspektah deck ( im sure most guys are googling now lol ) but its sick.
Franklin Phatboy:lol,I already did that myself,he is surely sick.mmmnnh When all the partying is over how do you like to chill out?
DJ Hypnotiq:I love my me time because it helps me focus on what targets that I have set for myself and see if I am on target but you would find me loosely chilling kicking it with my pals and fam.
Franklin Phatboy:So how is the scene in your eyes at the moment?
DJ Hypnotiq:Looking closely, I see a lot of talent that people are beginning to embrace and i’m really impressed its giving me more music to play. The parties are getting better, like I went for some event and people actually followed the dress code..
Franklin Phatboy: That’s great,its being a trend setter,I know it will happen more n more times.Where do you spin usually?
DJ Hypnotiq:Well, im not stuck in one particular place. I like to move around and give different crowds the feel of that hypnotiq vibe but you would find me at gallileo, skyluxx, changes, blixx, volar name it and I’ve been there and rocked the party right.
Franklin Phatboy:What’s is your real name if you use an alias and how old are you?
DJ Hypnotiq:Do I really have to… anyway im Eric Mwendwa the full kao and im super proud of that. Im 27.
Franklin Phatboy:Where do you live?
DJ Hypnotiq:I live in mountain view… my boys call it the leafy burbs lol
Franklin Phatboy:How big is your vinyl collection? What do you think of CDJ’s?
DJ Hypnotiq:I stopped collecting vinyls but there a couple…
Franklin Phatboy: How do you handle equipment failure in an event? Do you bring back up equipment?
DJ Hypnotiq:I have a guy on stand by with equipment. If I notice any glitch, he is on my speed dial.
Franklin Phatboy:Funniest thing that ever happened at an event?
DJ Hypnotiq:I had worn my headphones and bobbing my head enjoying the music only to find out that there was no out put to the speakers. Funny but embarrassing.
Franklin Phatboy:Other DJs you rate?
DJ Hypnotiq:Well, there some big cats in the industry, deejays republic of course hold it down heavy, kaytrixx is heavy as well.
Franklin Phatboy:About the Awards,what do you think of them,what need to be done?
DJ Hypnotiq:All I can say is… there is a lot to be done!!!
Franklin Phatboy:What are your feelings on the MC’s?
DJ Hypnotiq:First I want to give some respect to Octopizzo one because I love his drive. That guy doesn’t stop, content on the daily.
Another person is Juliani. Reason being he has taken full control on what a real artist should do. Like from his hustle, his motivation. All I can say is good stuff.
That tells you what I think about mc’s.
Franklin Phatboy:What do you do outside of the dance music scene?
DJ Hypnotiq:I play everything. Not just house. I just discovered house and its beautiful. So expect to see me at a hiphop gig, dancehall gig, name it im there.
Franklin Phatboy:What advice would you give to up and coming DJs?
DJ Hypnotiq:Work hard, be patient,have the drive, set targets and you will be in shock. Also, accept criticism, it will help you grow.
Franklin Phatboy:When you play, is this pre planned set?
DJ Hypnotiq:Never will I have a pre planned set.. I read the crowd, what they feel is what I play. Versatility is key. 
Franklin Phatboy:One thing you would change about the current local music scene?
DJ Hypnotiq:Their(Artist) focus on getting money but to give us good music.
Franklin Phatboywishes to Thank you very much for your time and i wish you all the best in your career.

No comments:

Post a Comment